Help fund relief efforts for the Australian Bushfires #beyondthebricks
Support Now
News

Why some renters might stick around longer than others

By Rikki Cook

Attention property managers: right now is a better time than ever to attract renters to your Alexandra Hills rental property. Why? Because 31 per cent of Australians chose to rent instead of buy their own home, reported a study conducted by CHOICE and National Shelter.

Worldwide, owning your own home has always been a goal for rising adults, but it appears that goal may have changed. Let’s dig more into the data.

Houses or units?

The demand is typically greatest for houses, as these are often people who are looking to stick around more permanently (or, as permanent as you can get for a renter). Figures from National Shelter’s report found that 60 per cent of renters were living in a house or townhouse, whereas the remaining 40 per cent was in an apartment. Of those renting, 24 per cent are couples with children, 20 per cent are couples without children and 25 percent were just plain living alone.

What is the driving factor of these renters? Affordability! According to the source, residential property prices in Australia have increased 23 per cent in the last five years – of course, we probably don’t have to tell you how expensive the housing market is. For many, the reasons behind renting were simple, it was cheaper and more flexible – they just plain can’t afford to buy their own property. But it might not be about affordability entirely.

Interestingly enough, Australians aren’t the first to alter the home owning dream – other countries with advanced economies like Germany are choosing the rent life as well.

If you need a hand throughout the rental process, look no further. Our team here at Ray White Alexandra Hills is ready to assist you – just contact us today.

Up to Date

Latest News

  • How to protect yourself from poor apartment construction… Part 1

    With prices climbing for single-family homes, more and more Australians are opting for flat living. Over the past few decades, apartment dwellers have increased to encompass 10% of the population, with an estimated occupied flat for every five houses. Nearly half the residential property listings in Sydney and Perth are … Read more

    Read Full Post

  • What can you learn from auction clearance rates?

    There’s more than one way to sell a home, and more than one way to predict what’s coming in the housing market. Auction clearance rates are one indicator that can show you how the market is moving and can help you determine the best time to buy or sell a residential property. … Read more

    Read Full Post